This velvety, spicy soup is a balanced meal that’s hearty enough to serve for dinner. You can follow it as written or use up the vegetables you have on hand! Swap in broccoli, cauliflower or bok choy without a problem. The protein rich food I used to balance out the meal is shelled edamame and pot stickers but you could use cubed tofu, frozen dumplings, fish or chicken. It is quick to make and is jam packed with flavor the whole family will love.
Thai inspired coconut vegetable soup
1 tbsp oil,
3 stalks of celery,
1 large carrot, sliced
4oz of mushrooms, sliced,
1 tbsp curry powder,
4 cups low sodium broth,
1 cup coconut milk,
1 tbsp fish sauce
4oz green beans, chopped,
1 red bell pepper,
2-3 cups shelled edamame (depending on how many people you are serving),
Juice of 1 lime + wedges to serve,
salt to taste,
2-6 cups of cooked rice noodles
sliced green onions for garnish.
1. Heat the oil over medium to high heat in a large soup pot.
2. Add the celery, mushrooms and curry powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the broth, coconut milk, 1 cup of water and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add the beans, peppers and edamame and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until the veggies are tender but crisp- about 5-7 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and stir in the lime juice.
6. Place 1/2 cup of cooked rice noodles into each bowl and top with soup. Sprinkle with green onions (and any other garnish you prefer such as coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.