Although I love shopping at our local market, I don’t always have the time. Stocking up on the basics at my local wholesale store can make home cooking a reality more often at my house. However, it is not always obvious about what to do with large quantities of pantry essentials- that is where Wholesale Wholesome comes in. The recipes developed under this title use easy to find foods at your local wholesale store that can be whipped up quickly and provide a nutritious meal for the whole family.
Before the summer is officially over, I wanted to sneak in another BBQ meal idea. At our house we find sausages are a great freezer staple since they are already packaged in individual portions and can be used as is (like in this recipe) or as an added flavourful meat to almost any meat dish (check out my Asian inspired meatloaf). If accompanied by a salad, this meal is balanced and complete.
Also, it can be hard getting through all that fresh vegetables when purchased in bulk. We find that we can eat more veggies and use them up faster when we treat ourselves to pre-washed and prepared veggies. With greens you can throw them in a bowl or on top of a pizza (with arugula)- either way they are easy and add a nice flavor to the meal.
Sausages and Salad
4 sausages (flavor of your choice. We like milk Italian)
4 long buns or baguette pieces, sliced lengthwise
4-6 cups of lettuce (we used green and purple baby romaine)
1/4 red onion, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp grainy mustard
1/2 garlic clove, minced or grated with a microplane
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Fill a medium sized pot with water and boil on high heat. Preheat your bbq to med-high heat.
2. Place the sausages in the water and boil on med-high heat for 20min.
3. Remove the sausages from the water and place on oiled bbq for about 10min. Flip half way through. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165oF for chicken/turkey sausages and 160oF for other ground meat sausages.
4. Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Place the lettuce and onions in a medium sized bowl and toss with dressing just before serving.
5. Place each sausage in a bun and top with your favourite condiments. We love mustard, onions and sauerkraut.