1. Plan ahead: By getting foods ready the night ahead, you’ll be more likely to eat AND have more time to eat. Here are some great breakfast ideas that can be made ahead of time:
-a smoothie (blend 1 cup of milk with 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, 1 banana, 1/2 cup frozen berries and a sprinkle of wheat germ). You can even blend up a few servings ahead of time and freeze them.
-yogurt parfait (sprinkle 1/3 cup of oats on to 1 cup of yogurt and top with 1/2 cup of berries. Let sit in the fridge overnight so the oats become tender)
-egg mcmuffin (crack and scramble an egg in a mug. Place in microwave for 1 min. Place in an english muffin with a slice of cheese. Wrap the sandwich up and heat in the microwave the next morning).
2. Bring food with you to work: Breakfast doesn’t have to be eaten the second you jump out of bed and these baggies of food can be organized the night before. These “snacks” can be combined to make a balanced breakfast and can be eaten at your desk.
-baggie of cereal or muesli
-bag of grapes or dried cranberries
-individual container of yogurt
3. Better yet- keep these handy foods at work for a convenient breakfast: bring all you need for the week on Monday so there is no packing required everyday :
-a box of cereal
-a litre of milk (keep it in the office fridge)
-keep some fruit at your desk in a stylish basket (apples, oranges, bananas)
-a small box of whole grain crackers
-a small jar of nut butter
-individually wrapped cheese like Bonnebell or string cheese (keep in the office fridge).
-small containers of yogurt
4. Occasionally drinking premade liquid meals for breakfast is ok too! These drinks have added vitamins and minerals as well as fibre and protein to keep you feeling fuller longer than a juice. Try something like an Ensure, Boost or Nestle’s Breakfast Anytime.
5. Breakfast doesn’t have to include breakfast foods. Eating a balanced leftover meal can be a quick and easy way to fuel up.
Keep in mind that children learn from example. If you want your kids to eat a healthy breakfast in the morning, have them watch you do the same. Eating breakfast together can be time to catch up with family as well as feed the mind and body. They may be more inclined to eat a more grownup cereal if they see you enjoying it.